Mirrors & Junior
Mirror & Junior Handicap Monohull Fleet Captain – Jonathan Waddington
THE INTERNATIONAL MIRROR DINGHY
The world’s most popular double handed dinghy.
The International Mirror Class Dinghy is one of the most versatile sailing dinghy ever produced. Designed to satisfy both the safety needs of families and the demands of the Junior club racer, it is an extraordinary international success, with over 70,000 Mirror Dinghies owned worldwide.
The Mirror has a well organised Class Association which promotes and administers Mirror dinghy sailing in the UK and represents UK Mirror sailors to other partner bodies such as the RYA (to whom we are affiliated), the International Mirror Class Association and through them the International Sailing Federation (ISAF). The major activities are:
- Organizing, with the help of the host clubs, Mirror dinghy Championships and Open meetings in the UK, see our event list and our trophy list.
- On behalf of the RYA, running a squad system for talented junior Mirror dinghy sailors (i.e. up to age 15).
- Running a stand displaying a Mirror dinghy at the RYA dinghy show.
- Organizing race training events for Mirror dinghies.
- Running a small fleet of GRP Bermuda rigged Mirror dinghies for demonstration purposes at clubs etc.
- Running this website www.ukmirrorsailing.com
- Producing newsletters, yearbooks and other published material.
- Answering questions about Mirror dinghies from members, the public, press and other bodies.
- Having Area Representatives who promote mirror sailing in their region
Each year we have one of the largest representations at Abersoch Mirror Week, in recent years having brought home some silverware, Abersoch Mirror week is an event for all sailors, from the very young and first time sailors to the keen adult, with boats from the 60’s to brand new. This year SCYC are hosting the Mirror nationals as well which will coincide with the Annual Mirror week meaning we are expecting over 100 mirrors on the beach at Abersoch, for further information visit the SCYC website, or alternatively to enter the 2015 nationals visit the mirror association website.
All through the season we have mirror and junior racing on the tide on a Saturday, with prizes up for grabs at the end of season prize giving. Mirrors can be purchased for as little as £250 secondhand on eBay right up to the latest fibre glass Bermudan rigged boats available from Winder boats.
The club has two modern bermudan rigged Mirrors built by winder boats in June 2015 (sail numbers 70861 and 70862) although priority is given to juniors these boats can be sailed by any member who has an appropriate level of sailing experience (as shown by the ability to fly a spinnaker) if you are interested in using one of these boats please contact Jonathan Waddington.
Each year the Club hosts a two day Mirror event around June/July which sees a large attendance from both competitive national circuit racers and club racers just looking for some fun, there is usually entertainment on the Saturday and there are separate prizes for gaff rigged boats meaning that everyone gets a shot at taking home some silverware.
This year the club is hosting the Neilpryde Nationwide & Northern Travelers Mirror open on 18th & 19th July. For club members entry is £20 plus a £5 mca membership fee for the weekend, you can enter via sailscore, on Friday from 7pm or on Saturday before racing.
For any further Information on Mirror and Junior sailing at Dee please contact:
Jonathan Waddington – email@example.com
Lee Matthews – firstname.lastname@example.org